June proved to be our busiest month. Coming and going, art camps, music camps, swimming lessons, new jobs, helping family move, trying to get a playset built, picking up the camper...glad the month is over. Why do I let my fear that the kids will be bored pressure me into signing them up for all sorts of activities?! When I was a kid I'd spend all day at the pool or riding bike. When I'd come to GFK to visit my dad - I'd sit in the restaurant or hang with cousins. Occasional swimming lessons and park board in the afternoons. Watched my bro play baseball. Our kind of busy - it makes the summer go by so fast!
| PC riding sans shirt, hoop-it and shoes. I give up. |
Oh yes, how can I forget that we are trying to potty train Miss PC. Ooof. She's got the #1 pretty well. It's the #2. I thought it would be a breeze, like IC. But I should remember this is PC and she does what she wants, when she wants. Lately, her thing is to drag her blankets and her lovey giraffe all over the house then gets really mad at bedtime because she can't remember where she left them. Her latest love is Pooh! I am guilty of letting them watch DVD's in the car because it is peaceful. I justify it with the fact we don't have cable and don't watch much TV. Unless I am looking for peace. I'd like to tell you about her vocabulary. If she asks where her screwdriver is - she is looking for her step stool (TB moved all the snacks up a level in our pantry cabinet because of her screwdriver). If she asks to put on her hoop-it, that is her bike helmet. If she is looking for her earwax, she means earphones. Always laughing at this one.
TB is a busy girl working at the North Dakota Museum of Art. An awesome opportunity for this budding artist. She has been helping with all of the summer art camps and coming home full of paint. She has helped take down displays in white gloves and worked the summer concert series they have there. She's been doing a ton of driving. Just not much parallel parking, we should get on that. We recently were granted guardianship of her. Makes her pretty much our kid! Strange when I think of it, but we are happy that she has that permanency. It is sorta like marriage. Some people think its just a piece of paper. I used to think like that, but it was strange once we did get married. I did feel different on an emotional or spiritual level. Nothing changed much day to day, but something shifted and I can't really explain it in words. Guardianship also feels like that to me. My feelings for her: its like she is my cousin, sister, kid, and buddy. Sometimes all at once, sometimes singularly. As a parental figure, we go round and round about clothes, specifically length of shorts (some of the shorts these days have less fabric than my underwear!!). Then we spend a ton of time together doing crafty things and watching our shows. Sometimes though, she is my parent! She helps me remember where my phone is or my car keys!
IC is getting excited for Kindergarten! I am excited that they wear uniforms at St. Mike's! No arguments on what to wear every morning! We've been working on her reading skills. We have a couple of sets of BOB books, which focus on sight words and words that easily sounded out. Piano has lagged this summer - her teacher or our family have had conflicting schedules this summer. She doesn't want to do gymnastics this fall, but rather Tae Kwon Do (like her cousin RK) and/or ballet. I think the TKD would be good for her. Teaches discipline, respect and working hard.
On Thursday we head out to California for vacation! NC's sister is getting married so we'll be attending the wedding. Going to spend some time in San Francisco and see the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Super excited!!
Ok, that is all I got right now!
TB is a busy girl working at the North Dakota Museum of Art. An awesome opportunity for this budding artist. She has been helping with all of the summer art camps and coming home full of paint. She has helped take down displays in white gloves and worked the summer concert series they have there. She's been doing a ton of driving. Just not much parallel parking, we should get on that. We recently were granted guardianship of her. Makes her pretty much our kid! Strange when I think of it, but we are happy that she has that permanency. It is sorta like marriage. Some people think its just a piece of paper. I used to think like that, but it was strange once we did get married. I did feel different on an emotional or spiritual level. Nothing changed much day to day, but something shifted and I can't really explain it in words. Guardianship also feels like that to me. My feelings for her: its like she is my cousin, sister, kid, and buddy. Sometimes all at once, sometimes singularly. As a parental figure, we go round and round about clothes, specifically length of shorts (some of the shorts these days have less fabric than my underwear!!). Then we spend a ton of time together doing crafty things and watching our shows. Sometimes though, she is my parent! She helps me remember where my phone is or my car keys!
IC is getting excited for Kindergarten! I am excited that they wear uniforms at St. Mike's! No arguments on what to wear every morning! We've been working on her reading skills. We have a couple of sets of BOB books, which focus on sight words and words that easily sounded out. Piano has lagged this summer - her teacher or our family have had conflicting schedules this summer. She doesn't want to do gymnastics this fall, but rather Tae Kwon Do (like her cousin RK) and/or ballet. I think the TKD would be good for her. Teaches discipline, respect and working hard.
On Thursday we head out to California for vacation! NC's sister is getting married so we'll be attending the wedding. Going to spend some time in San Francisco and see the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Super excited!!
Ok, that is all I got right now!
| Went to MN Zoo for Father's Day - Dinos! |
| The girls having a water fight. |
| PC gets a kick out of farm animals- especially goats. She likes to feed them. |
| Tradition = Annual County Fair parade in the "Candy Truck". |
| At the "My gramma that makes beads" house - looks like they were put to work! |
1 comment:
Love the update. What a beautiful family. Sounds like you're having a busy, but fun-filled summer. I love your writing.
Post a Comment